Guidelines for Registered Medical Practitioners Who Perform Cosmetic Surgery and Procedures (view pdf)
Cosmetic surgery involves cutting beneath the skin - including breast augmentation, facelifts and liposuction.
A GP referral is required for cosmetic surgeries only. Non-surgical procedures do not require a referral.
- Cosmetic surgery is defined as procedures that involve cutting beneath the skin, such as breast augmentation, facelifts and liposuction.
- GP referrals are required for all surgical procedures.
- Non-surgical procedures necessitate a GP referral only when underlying psychological concerns are detected.
- Reconstructive and gender affirmation surgeries are not considered cosmetic surgery.
- These guidelines focus on ensuring compliance and maintaining the highest standards of patient care in the industry.